Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Blog Entry 1A: Creative People that Inspire Me


Three Creative people that inspire me as a creative person are Andrew Jenks, Walt Disney and Baz Luhrmann.
Andrew Jenks started out as a kid interested in film making just like any of the students here at OU. He was 19 when one summer he moved into a nursing home and documented his experiences. It got a lot more attention than he thought it would. MTV picked him up and he now has a show called World of Jenks, where he fallows around seemingly normal people and document their lives. He has episodes where he has fallowed around an MMA fighter, an aspiring Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader, a 20-year-old with autism and many others. In the attached episode he fallows around 23-year-old Brogan in the “shockingly dangerous world of animal rescue”. 
Freedom's Flight-- Andrew Jenks   http://www.mtv.com/videos/world-of-jenks-ep-5-freedoms-flight/1649260/playlist.jhtml
 Jenks inspires me as a creative person because he was a normal kid, goofing with his friends and had a camera, but he decided to do good with his camera. From his show, things that usually go unspoken of like the ARM (Animal Recovery Mission) are put into public eyes and it really shows how complex peoples lives can be. Showing the soft family man, behind an MMA fighter and the tearful hard and surprisingly non-superficial life of a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader. I think his stories used the audiences’ conscious affection toward the subject of that episode in efforts to affect their subconscious the next time they make an assumption of what a certain person is like. I think this truly is reality television.
Walt Disney also inspires me as a creative person. Not only his drive to becoming an infamous name in every household but also his dedication to children and fun. The Walt Disney Classic movies are probably the most pure form of what a classic means. There is not a child in the United States that hasn’t seen a Disney classic movie. The princesses are the centrals of what little girls dress up as and strive to be. Walt Disney is a prime example of active and didactic mechanisms in use.  Snow White for example, she eats an apple from a stranger and she falls into a ‘deep sleep’ and is taken away, a.k.a. you should not eat food from strangers/ let them know your home alone. My love for Disney is one very much based on my childhood but I love the stories and  I love teaching children, especially now a days they need a bit of a sense of direction.     
Snow White and the Poison Apple http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irTuCedD9Ms&feature=related
             Most of all I am inspired by Baz Luhrmann. Known for William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, Australia, Strictly Ballroom and Moulin Rouge! . I will use Moulin Rouge as my example as it’s my all time favorite movie.  He wrote, directed produced and worked on the soundtrack of this film that I find completely flawless (call it blinded by love if you want). You can see even in the attached trailer for the movie the use of contrast and affinity. You will see mass amounts of red against a darkish grey background. Also the clever use of foreshadowing using the scenes of the play being written is extremely witty for the audience during they’re second or third time watching. Also the chose to use songs already popular was great because, I know personally, I enjoy musicals far more when I know the songs, making it so I enjoy them my third of fourth viewing, where as this movie it excites the audience in that they too know these lyrics and can relate.
Moulin Rouge Official Trailer 2001 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDw1_yV6ufM


No comments:

Post a Comment